Welcome to the discipline of Gastroenterology
Gastroenterology services are coordinated and managed within the overall referral system from the District Hospitals throughout the Province to Regional and the Tertiary/ Central Hospital Services.
Gastroenterological procedures are provided in collaboration with the Department of Surgery at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central hospital within the Durban Functional Region.
Routine upper and lower Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (with or without biopsy polypectomy, dilatation etc.) is performed at all Regional Hospitals.
A daily Gastroscopy service and a thrice weekly Colonoscopy service for both in- and outpatients at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Hospital is provided. Weekly gastroscopy service a King Edward Hospital on a Friday
Gastroenterology Specialist Outpatient Services: Consultative Services: One (1) Clinic per week at King Edward VIII (Monday) and Inkosi Albert Luthuli (Thursday) for acute and chronic GI diseases.
Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital
The GI Unit at IALCH provides an endoscopy service to the following categories of patients:
- Patients referred to the GI Clinic because of the complexity/severity of the underlying problem which needs a Gastroenterologist’s opinion.
- Patients referred from other tertiary outpatient services at IALCH.
- In-patients at IALCH who require urgent endoscopy.
- Complex or technically difficult procedures which require a high degree of expertise and competence such as Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography, endoscopic ultrasound, enteroscopy, capsule endoscopy etc
- Oesophageal laboratory – including high-resolution manometry and pH studies
- Anorectal motility studies
- 8 bedded In-patient service
MEDICAL GASTROENTEROLOGIST SUB-SPECIALIST: TRAINING NUMBER FOR SECONDED CANDIDATES